We've just returned from another fantastic tour of the Hope factory, where Leaon got his first chance to take a look around. Despite having had countless visits before, Si popped along too - there was a rather interesting new product to take a look at too...
Based in Barnoldswick, Hope are primarily known for their brakes, hubs, wheels and other CNC machined aluminium bike parts. They're pretty unusual in that they're the true definition of a manufacturer - milling bars, extrusions and forgings into shape, before anodising and assembling them into complete products - all in house! They buy in material stock, seals and bearings - that's about it!
In 2017 they launched the HB160 bike after pressure from customers to actually offer it for sale. Again, that's made in house - with a carbon fibre front triangle that they even machine the moulds for.
We've put together a little Facebook gallery with a photos of machines and parts as we toured the factory - click here to see that.
The main reason for our visit was to catch up with Hope on their bike project - and to update us ready for the launch of the new HB130. It's been a while in the offing, but the bike's now ready to go - with demo bikes and stock on the way as I type.
The HB130 uses the same naming convention as the HB160 - so has 130mm of rear travel. This is matched to a Fox 36 with 140mm travel.
You can click here to view the bike on our website, but here's a quick overview of the bike build
- HB130 frame with 130mm travel
- Fox DPX2 Factory Kashima shock
- Fox 36 Factory Kashima Grip 2, 140mm travel
- Fox Transfer Factory Kashima dropper/SDG Radar saddle with HB logo
- Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes/floating rotors
- Hope Pro 4/Fortus wheelset/Maxxis Minion tyres
- Hope carbon handlebar
As with the HB130, you get a choice of colours for your bike build - along with a host of upgrade choices too;
- Ohlins suspension package £0
- Hope crank upgrade £285 (we'll do this as a free swap!)
- Sram AXS package (X01 drivetrain and Reverb) £1200
- Santa Cruz Reserve rim upgrade £1350
- Additional pair of wheels with Reserve rims £1750
- Decal kit £30 (free with any HB130 from 18 Bikes)
Hope are also offering a frame package, for those who'd rather custom build a bike. That includes
- Fox DPX2 or Ohlins TTX22 shock
- Hope Stainless bottom bracket for 30mm or DUB
- Hope Stainless headset
- Pair of hubs, 130mm rear spacing and HB etching
Our demo bike's on the way to us soon - watch this space for details on a HB130 demo day with the Hope fleet too!